Thursday, January 26, 2012

Going to the Movie Theater Alone Isn't So Bad

   Going alone to the theater was actually quite fun and wasn't as awkward as I planned on it being. My husband, Mohammad, works all day at the mall and when I decided to go on a shopping trip while he was working I decided to catch a movie before the mall closed. Since I'm in another country I was a little scared that the actors' voices would be talked over in Arabic but thankfully there was just Arabian subtitles and I could comfortably watch the movie. I went to go see the second Sherlock Holmes movie which may be the reason I didn't become bored but I felt as though it was a great experience and a liberating step for me in dealing with  the restrictions of the middle eastern customs.
     I wasn't in the mood for popcorn, even though it did smell quite wonderful, I opted to skip out on buttered chapped lips and go for an orange smoothie instead. This drink was really great and wish I knew where they sold them outside of the movie theater. After I was directed to my seat the movie was set to start in another 10-15 minutes. The whole row I  was sitting at was completely empty and the rows in front and behind me were quite full which made me feel a little weird at first. However, once the movie started things became enjoyable and I loved the overall experience of being by myself and not having to deal with someone hogging the arm holders or the sound of chewing in my ear. Within the last few minutes of the movie Mohammad walked in the theater to make sure I was there since I had no service and he wasn't able to reach me.
     Although Jordan is a very open country compared to its surrounding neighbors, it's still a middle eastern country and therefore due to a mix of different cultural reasons I don't feel so comfortable  doing too many things alone. It would be different if I was just a tourist for a few weeks but this will be a year-long trip for me and I have to learn to cope with the everyday life here in the city of Amman. So since my options are quite limited during Mohammad's workweek I feel as though I would be completely comfortable with going to the movies alone everyday and I have complete certainty that I'd enjoy myself.
I know this may seem a bit silly for some and going to the movie theater alone is not a big deal but what kinds of things have you done to make you feel a bit more at home while traveling? Maybe I'll try them out too! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment